This course introduces, and provides hands-on experience of, the approaches necessary to apply OpenFOAM to vehicle external aerodynamics simulation.
Geometry and meshing
- Review of vehicle geometry, underhood, underbody, …
- Wind tunnel setup
- Comprehensive study of snappyHexMesh
- Mesh structure, best practice for mesh sizes and distributions
- How to treat multiple zones for fans and heat exchangers
- Meshing in parallel
- Turbulence models: RANS, LES, DES, DDES
- Heat exchanger and fan model setup
- Field initialization and boundary conditions
- Best practice for selecting models and setting parameters
- Set up on-the-fly post-processing to calculate drag and lift coefficients
- Solution monitoring and control
- Running in parallel; steady state and transient
Post-processing using ParaView
- Flow field interrogation
- Cp, total pressure and Cp total calculation
- Component drag contribution such as heat exchangers
- Drag development plot along the vehicle
- Iso-surface of total pressure zero
- Creating animations for transient simulation
- The language used in all OpenFOAM training courses is English.
- Course times
- The course is 2 day in duration and usually runs from 09.00 to 17.30 (local time).
- Target audience
- This course is suitable for new and existing users seeking to gain confidence in performing simulations of vehicle external aerodynamics.
- Basic knowlege of OpenFOAM is recommended, but not required